Emergency Contact Information
Springfield Police Department
417-864-1810 or 911
Sheriff Greene County
Burrell Center Inc./Crisis Assist Team
24-hr Crisis Line
417-862-6555 or 800-494-7533
Missouri State University
Counseling Center 417-836-5116
OR - Go Directly to an Emergency Room at:
Mercy Hospital at the Corner of National and Sunshine 417-820-2000
Cox's Medical Center South
3801 S. National
How You Can Help:
- Be direct. Talk openly and matter-of-factly about suicide.
- Be willing to listen. Allow expressions of feelings. Accept the feelings.
- Be non-judgmental. Don't debate whether suicide is right or wrong, or feelings are good or bad. Don't lecture on the value of life.
- Get involved. Become available. Show interest and support.
- Don't dare him or her to do it.
- Don't act shocked. This will put distance between you.
- Don't be sworn to secrecy. Seek support.
- Offer hope that alternatives are available but do not offer glib reassurance.
- Take action. Remove means, such as guns or stockpiled pills.
- Get help from persons or agencies specializing in crisis intervention or suicide prevention.
- A suicide education site (http://www.save.org/)
- Help in understanding suicide (http://www.suicidology.org/understandingsuicide.htm)
- Research by the National Institute of Health https://www.nimh.nih.gov/research-priorities/index.shtml
- Additional information regarding suicide (http://www.siec.ca)
Disclaimer Regarding links to Other Web Sites:
Please read the information presented on each site carefully and critically. We have carefully selected each site with the belief that it provides useful information, however, the following listing of sites is for reference only. No endorsement of these sites is thereby meant of implied. No representation or warranty concerning the quality or any other characteristic of these sites is being made.
- Alcohol and Drug Education
- Impact of Drugs and Alcohol on families
- Alcohol and Drug use in pregnancy
If you have difficulty coping after the emergency, contact the Counseling Center or see the list of Springfield resources.